Group Admins

• Profile picture of jonnylons

Group Mods

• Profile picture of MarlinAddict

Fish Tank

Public Group active 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Stay updated on all of the latest news, rumors, and developments for your Miami Marlins! We have all of the latest here so feel free to read up and share your opinions on what is going on with the Fish!

Marlins Sign Placido Polanco (4 posts)

Topic tags: offseason, Placido Polanco, signings
  • Profile picture of jonnylons jonnylons said 1 year, 7 months ago:

$2.75M one year deal. We improve defensively, but offensively we’ll see. I liken him to Omar Infante a bit, but the real question is can Polanco stay healthy?

I think he will provide us will gold glove caliber defense at 3B – probably our best defensive 3B we have had here since Lowell.

Will he hit? He will put the ball in play. I think he can do better than the .266 line we got from our 3B from last year (including Hanley). Probably about .275+. He won’t hit many home runs – maybe 5+. The question is, will he or Solano hit in the 2 spot? I would rather his experienced bat up at the top of the order, working behind JP. Could give flashes of 2003 (with Luis Castillo working behind JP).

“Bill James projects that Polanco will hit a respectable .279/.331/.368 next season. Combined with his defense, the Marlins can anticipate decent surplus value from this contract.”

http://www.fishstripes.com/2012/12/20/3789490/miami-marlins-sign-placido-polanco

I think I could live with that plus his defense. The question is, how many games? 90? 100? 120?

I wonder why the Marlins didn’t sign Yuniesky Betancourt – he is Cuban, can play SS and 3B and actually has some pop in his bat. He has had trouble in the past, but mostly it was due to wanting to get more PT. He had two tours in KC and is out again. He signed last year for a 1 year deal at $2M but was beaten out for PT by Chris Getz – not sure why.

Still, the Marlins chose Polanco over him. There are reportedly 4 teams calling about Betancourt’s availability and his agent is based in Miami so, we’ll see.