1. Boston: Lose Beckett to the DL and they don’t even miss a beat. Mikey Lowell is playing like the Lowell of 2003.
2. Queens: Big series win against the Yankees, especially for David Wright. He is back in a big way, but it would still be totally bogus if he, or any other NL 3rd basemen for that matter, are voted to start over Miguel Cabrera for the All Star Game.
3. Halos: The hottest team in baseball right now. Sweeping the real LA team sends a major statement to all of baseball that the Angels must be considered as a serious championship contender.
4. Cleveland: Fausto Carmona is looking like this year’s Francisco Liriano. He and C.C. Sabathia form one of the the best 1-2 starting pitching combos anywhere. The AL Central is going to be loaded with pitching for many years to come.
5. Detroit: I don’t care how good ARod has been, Magglio is the real AL MVP so far this year. Remember: it’s not an award for the best player, it’s an award for the most valuable player. How valuable can a player really be if his team is four games under .500?
6. ATLiens: There is a very good chance that this team might fall apart very soon, maybe even fatally. They have played relatively crappy recently, losing a few games to the Pirates, Red Sox, and Nationals. Now the schedule gets tougher including a series against the Mets this week. Andruw Jones is playing like his agent forgot to tell him that it’s his free agent year. It gets worse… Mike Gonzalez is now on the DL. That is a lot to overcome.
7. SD: Things are looking pretty good in San Diego right now… Jake Peavy is simply incredible, so is Adrian Gonzalez, and Justin Germano has proven to be a shrewd pickup. All they need is some more hitting.
8. Milwaukee: It’s not time to panic or anything but this team needs to start playing better baseball if they want to make the playoffs.
9. LA Dodgers: They need a bat even worse than San Diego does. That sweep by the Angels was embarrassing.
10. Pale Hosers: How could you not love Ozzie Guillen?
11. AZ: Welcome back Randy Johnson. You were never supposed to be a Yankee… now you’re home where you belong. He may also be important to the Mariners, but he should wear a Dbacks hat when he is inducted in the HOF.
12. Oakland: Jack Cust has been the best find since Dan Uggla. Still hanging in there…
13. San Fran: Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, and Barry Zito will ensure that the Giants will have one of the best rotations in the NL for many years.
14. FL: Led by Dan Uggla’s breakout, the Fightin‘ Fish have won four straight and 6 out of the last 7 games. Remember, last year’s turnaround started with a sweep of the Devil Rays… but this time they are one game under .500 instead of 20. Yet more bad news for the Braves…
15. Philly: I can’t be partial here… I really hate this team. I would love to see Scotty O give Chase Ugly some chin music the next time they face each other.
16. Cubbies: Lou Pinella needs to make up his mind about Ryan Dempster… my vote: starter. With the Brewers reeling now would be an excellent time for a nice hot streak.
17. Seattle: Still around .500, but they shouldn’t drop anytime soon if Ichiro keeps it up.
18. Toronto: Have become pretty hot lately, but probably too little too late with Boston being so far out of reach and the talent in the AL Central.
19. H Town: Hunter Pence will be the next great Astros hitter.
20. Minnesota: It really shows how much this team misses Liriano.
21. South Bronx: Clemens isn’t looking too great down in AA… without him pitching lights out this team is absolutely done. If they were smart, they would trade ARod and Giambi for boatloads of prospects at the deadline, but there is no way that would ever happen… not in New York. It’s too logical.
22. DRays: 9,000 a game and the Orlando adventure was a success?
23. KC: I’ll be nice and rank them up here this week… they have had some good games. Those renovations to Kaufman Stadium look great.
24. Pittsburgh: Well, at least they are still ahead of the champs in the standings…
25. St. Louis: They would lose 100 games if it wasn’t for Pujols.
26. Colorado: Matt Holiday is one of the most underrated players in the game today.
27. Baltimore: Something has to change with this organization… starting with the owner.
28. Cincy: On top of everything else that has gone wrong for this team, Josh Hamilton can’t even have any medicine to cure his stomach ailments because of his past.
29. Texas: Losing Hank Blalock really hurts. Texas deserves a winner, this is just a shame.
30. DC: How can they expect to build a fan base if they keep cutting payroll?